It’s Primary Election Day
Secretary of State William Galvin says that he expects anywhere between 1.2 million and 1.3 million votes will be cast in Massachusetts as voters make their way to the polls today throughout the state. Galvin also says that with the expansion of mail-in voting this year, local clerks are facing added demands, but the expects to see clear results by tomorrow morning.
In the Berkshires we are mainly watching two races. U.S. Rep. Joe Kennedy III is challenging incumbent U.S. Sen. Edward Markey in the Democratic Senate primary, while Holyoke Mayor Alex Morse is running against long-time incumbent U.S. Representative Richard Neal.
In Pittsfield, City Clerk Michele Benjamin said that nearly 6,000 ballots had already been returned to her office as of Monday. She told the Berkshire Eagle that the number of early ballots is already more than the total number of voters who participated in the 2016 primary, when voters did not have the options of no-excuse vote-by-mail and early in-person voting.
There is not much else of interest on either the Democratic or Republican Primary Ballot’s in Pittsfield. State Representative Tricia Farley Bouvier and State Senator Adam Hinds are both unopposed in this election.
The polls are open until 8 PM across the State.
If you need a reminder of where to vote, here is the list of polling places in Pittsfield:
- Ward 1, Precincts A/B: Reid Middle School, 950 North Street
- Ward 2, Precinct A: Morningside Community School, 100 Burbank Street
- Ward 2, Precinct B: Fire station, 9 Somerset Avenue
- Ward 3, Precinct A: Providence Court, 379 East Street
- Ward 3, Precinct B: Egremont Elementary School, 84 Egremont Avenue
- Ward 4, Precinct A: Herberg Middle School, 501 Pomeroy Avenue
- Ward 4, Precinct B: Williams Elementary School, 50 Bushey Road
- Ward 5, Precincts A/B: Berkshire Athenaeum, 1 Wendell Avenue
- Ward 6, Precinct A: Columbus Arms, 65 Columbus Avenue
- Ward 6, Precinct B: Conte Community School, 200 W. Union Street
- Ward 7, Precinct A: Fire station, 54 Pecks Road
- Ward 7, Precinct B: Capeless Elementary School, 86 Brooks Avenue