Early Morning Stove Fire at Hubbard Avenue Wendy’s
An early morning fire at a local restaurant in Pittsfield was accidental in nature. According to a media release from the Pittsfield Fire Department this morning, firefighters responded to the Wendy's Restaurant, at 556 Hubbard Avenue, for a kitchen fire at around 12:15 am this morning. Three engines, one ladder truck, and a command vehicle responded to the scene.
According to Pittsfield Deputy Chief Daniel Garner, firefighters upon their arrival found a small growing fire in the restaurant's kitchen. One Engine crew extinguished the fire with fire extinguishers, while another truck ventilated the building. E3 stood by with an additional water supply.
The Fire was contained to the stove and hood area. The fire started when a cleaning crew moved a gas-fed, flat-top stove unit. While moving it a fire erupted from behind the unit, with flames shooting out and up. Gas to the appliance was shut off and Berkshire Gas responded to ensure that was the cause of the gas leak. The city’s Department of Health was also notified.
Fortunately, due to the clean kitchen area and lack of combustible materials, other than the punctured gas line, the fire was not able to spread any further. Damage from the fire was confined to the flat top stove unit and hood area. The damage was estimated at roughly $1,000. It was not known if or how long the restaurant would be closed.
There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries or casualties.
The information in this article comes from the Pittsfield Fire Department media report, which was received by the Berkshire News Network shortly before 7 am.
This article may be updated if further information becomes available.
LOOK: The most expensive weather and climate disasters in recent decades
LOOK: Here is the richest town in each state
LOOK: The Most Famous Actor Born Every Year