FEMA Looks to Ease Burden on Families Suffering a Loss to COVID
In an effort to ease the financial burden on families coping with the loss of a loved one due to COVID-19, the Federal Emergency Management Agency says that it will be providing financial assistance this month for funeral expenses incurred after January 20th, 2020 for deaths related to coronavirus.
You do have to meet certain eligibility guidelines to be able to receive COVID-19 funeral assistance. Here is what the policy says, according to a press release from FEMA:
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after Jan. 20, 2020 for a death attributed to COVID-19.
- If multiple individuals contributed toward funeral expenses, they should apply under a single application as applicant and co-applicant. FEMA will also consider documentation from other individuals not listed as the applicant and co-applicant who may have incurred funeral expenses as part of the registration for the deceased individual.
- An applicant may apply for multiple deceased individuals.
- The COVID-19-related death must have occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories and the District of Columbia.
- This assistance is limited to a maximum financial amount of $9,000 per funeral and a maximum of $35,500 per application.
- Funeral assistance is intended to assist with expenses for funeral services and interment or cremation.
In the coming weeks, a dedicated 800 number will be established to help individuals who apply. In the meantime, potential applicants are encouraged to start gathering the following documentation:
- An official death certificate that attributes the death to COVID-19 and shows that the death occurred in the U. S.
- Funeral expense documents such as receipts, and the funeral home contract.
- Proof of funds received from other sources specifically for use toward funeral costs.
Funeral assistance may not duplicate benefits received from burial or funeral insurance, financial assistance received from voluntary agencies, federal/state/local/tribal/territorial government programs or agencies, or other sources.
More information regarding this assistance can be found at: https://www.fema.gov/.../coro.../economic/funeral-assistance