Morning Fire Damages Pittsfield Apartment Building Saturday
Firefighters in Pittsfield responded for a reported structure fire at a 78 Linden Street apartment building early Saturday morning. The fire call came in at approximately 4:30am according to the media fire report provided by Deputy Fire Chief, Mathew Noyes.
Upon arrival fire crews found heavy fire showing from several of the second-floor windows. The occupants of the second floor were self-evacuated and an occupant of the first floor was evacuated by firefighters.
Firefighters made an aggressive interior attack knocking down the main body of the fire. After primary and secondary searches were completed, back up line, ventilation and overhaul operations were completed. There were no civilian injuries as a result of the fire, but two fire fighters were treated for minor injuries and were released from Berkshire Medical Center.
The two-alarm fire caused extensive fire, heat, smoke, and water damage to the second-floor apartment. Similar damage to the first-floor apartment was listed as moderate. There was no estimated cost of the damage given on the fire report from the department.
Lenox & Dalton Fire Departments provided mutual aid coverage to the city, while crews remained on the scene investigating and overhauling.
The cause of the fire was believed to be accidental. The Berkshire Eagle reported that according to deputy fire chief Daniel Garner, the cause of the fire may have had to do with an unattended candle or the improper disposal of smoking materials.
This article may be updated if further information should become available.